Monday, October 6, 2008

Symptoms of Nerve Exhaustion?



This advertisement reads further (though I can't post the actual article and have it be readable since Blogger compresses files during upload. Wow, I hadn't known that previously! I wish it was in the terms of use or something... hey wait, who knows? Does anyone actually read those word for word?):

These are only a few of the signs of weak, unhealthy nerves that are steadily robbing thousands of people of their youth and health.

What Causes Sick Nerves?

WOMEN In women this is largely due to over-active emotions, and to the constant turmoil in their domestic and marital relations.

MEN In men, these signs of nerve exhaustion are produced as a result of worries, intense concentration, excesses and vices. The mad pace at which we are traveling is wrecking the entire Nervous Organization.


This advertisement was published in a March, 1932 copy of a magazine called National Republic. On the front cover it says:

In This Issue: "Uncle Sam's Naval Plan," by Hancock Adams; "The Irish In Our Revolution," by Fairfax Braxton; "The Tragedy of John A. Sutter, " by Dr. Horace Ellis; "On the State of the Union," by George B. Lockwood; Other Illustrated Features


4 comments:

Linda S. Socha said...

Ezekial

Alas. I fear I may be relating to the symptoms of both genders.Even now.... 75 years or so later....I can relate to the mad mad pace. I appreciate your light hearted blog. Thank you!
Linda

What Rough Beast said...

Nothing soothes stressed nerves like Dr. Samuel's Patented Horizontal Hysteria Treatment...hehehe

By the way Zeke ol' buddy, you´re no officially linked to my page of drivel.

Ezekiel Barzillai Smythe said...

Thanks Linda and WRB. I can promise that there will be plenty of esoteric posts in this blog's future!

Charli Henley said...

Oh my. I think I have Nerve Exhaustion. What's the cure?

(Thanks for posting this! These old ads always manage to creep me out!)