Thursday, November 13, 2008

Tough People


I have started accumulating a few photos that appear to have been taken in orchards. What this means is anyone's guess; however, I do know that at the time (early 1900s) there was a descriptive style to photo-taking. For example, if someone was a homesteader, it would be expected that there would be photos of the homestead.

This woman's stance suggests a no-nonsense approach in life -- one I have always admired but have had trouble pulling off in so-called "real life."

No-nonsense means no apologizing for who you are. For where you've been. For what you've thought and then alternately not-thought. Life shows us a lot of options and then we choose. We should all hope to choose best in order to find our own happiness.

This lady in an orchard wryly smiles on, knowing.

3 comments:

Linda S. Socha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda S. Socha said...

Yes! Well said!. I have old photos of my favorite Aunts akin to this one. Many are taken in the yard's of the homestead. couple are from the occasion of a burial.

Your writing style is lovely Ezekial.
I love the nuances and the historical...observations. I appreciate your blog and thank you for doing it. You are a favorite.
Linda

Ezekiel Barzillai Smythe said...

Thanks again, Linda. You seem to be a very thoughtful person and I appreciate that you take the time to read my lil' ol' blog!