Monday, September 8, 2008

Knopp Inc. Punch and Cupcakes c. 1960s






I found these photos in an antique store in Pacifica, Ca. last November. The photos have so many intriquing little details that I would love to know more about, but this is as close to being a fly on the wall I can be 40+ years later. (Click on the photos for an enlarged view.)

The photos depict a group of people, probably work associates, socializing inside an office of Knopp Inc., and electrical equipment company in Emeryville, California. It seems there must be some kind of celebration taking place due to an achievement of some kind. Next to the cupcakes, there is a sign that reads "WE MADE IT!" and in smaller type below it it says "the Boss RAY". In the photo with the car, there is a plaque that shows the name of Knopp Inc. Could it be Boss Ray who is posing outside the building?

I was taken by the details in the photos with all the people -- the rotary phone, the metal file cabinets, the poster on the wall advertising Trans World Airlines (the now defunct TWA). The punch and cupcakes; the ladies dresses. I wonder what that day was like and what they were celebrating. I looked up Knopp Inc. and saw that they are still around, boasting 80 years in the biz.

3 comments:

ascen said...

It´s amazing how you notice all the details.Are you a photographer?

Linda S. Socha said...

Ezekiel
I hope that really is your real name! What a treasure for a name even if it is not authentic.
I love these photos. My first thought was today the refreshments would be crudites and green tea! My second was this could be a church social!
I find your blog a relaxing respite
Linda

Ezekiel Barzillai Smythe said...

Ascen -- thanks, I do take pictures and am a painter, so these kinds of details pop out at me.

Linda -- So true, there would be cucumber slices and hummus instead of cupcakes. But I prefer cupcakes!